Golf wasn’t on city council’s agenda.
But often critical of the cost, Councilman Andy Thomson came up with an agreement for the park district.
The Greater Boca Raton Beach & Park District also wants to build the course and the two have been at odds for months.
Council agreed on the agreement.
“The next step is getting this signed. We’re going to pay for this and operate it together as a team,” said Deputy Mayor Jeremy Rodgers.
“This reaffirms our offers to help and get the course up and running as soon as possible,” Mayor Scott Singer said just before council adjourned Tuesday night.
· City will undertake design and construction of entire golf course facility, east and west;
· City agrees with general concepts of most recent Price Fazio plans…but retains ability to hire own golf course architects and contractors. [They would] design and construct the facility and plan overall design;
· City will endeavor to use, where appropriate, work product and plans produced by Price Fazio. And will consider input from BPD [Beach & Park District];
· City will finalize design and construct golf facility with city funds;
· City will manage course and programming with input from BPD;
· City and BPD will split profits/losses on facility once built;
· City will work expeditiously on design to begin construction as early as possible…
By Marci Shatzman