The city’s annual free, outdoor summer concerts and events series starts tonight June 7 with a battle of the bands.
Five groups of musicians 20 and older and three teen bands will compete for $1,500. Other concerts and events will run over seven more weekends through Aug. 11.
The next concert is a Jimmy Buffet tribute band next Friday June 14. A screening of “Bohemian Rhapsody” and sing-along to Queen’s score is Friday July 26. See the lineup below.
Among competing bands this Saturday are The Cytokines, medical students and faculty from Florida Atlantic University. Audio Crisis are high school friends from Boca High. Coral Canyons is a four-piece rock band primarily from Boca.
That concert starts 7 p.m. in the amphitheater or the north end of Mizner Park. Doors open an hour in advance. All events are rain or shine.
Attendees can bring their own seating or rent chairs for $5. Mizner Park has on-street meters and free garage parking. But the city encourages people to park and walk from City Hall off Palmetto Park Road and Second Avenue or Boca Raton Library at 400 NW Second Ave.
Food and beverages are available to buy inside the amphitheater and no outside food or beverages are allowed.
· Here’s the lineup for the free concerts. [Live Nation has ticketed concerts on other dates.]
· 7:30 p.m. June 14, Caribbean Chillers, Jimmy Buffet tribute
· 7-10 p.m. June 21 Summer Solstice – Yoga/Art
· 7:30 p.m. June 23 FAU summer concert band
· 7-10 p.m. July 12 Game Night on the Boardwalk with a deejay
· 7:30 p.m. July 19 Peace of Woodstock to celebrate 50th anniversary
· 7:30 p.m. July 26 “Bohemian Rhapsody” movie screening and sing-along
· 7:30 p.m. Aug. 2 The Symphonia Boca Raton
· 7:30 p.m. Aug. 9 Chicago Rewired, Chicago tribute