The city’s GreenMarket is back on Royal Palm Place Saturday mornings for the season, but not for long. Look for a new location shortly.
The probable change is part of new parking plans approved Monday for the city’s downtown district.
The GreenMarket locale will most likely be on the north parking lot at City Hall. Mizner Park was mentioned.
“Our vendors would prefer city hall for parking. We have no confirmation from Mizner Park,” Emily Lilly, GreenMarket manager told Boca Voice. “We may move in a week.”
The seasonal GreenMarket is held from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays. Businesses at Royal Palm Place would rather have spaces back parking on the plaza, assistant city manager Mike Woika said at the meeting Monday.
- Activate 26 existing but unused meters in the area south and east of Hyatt Place. The hotel is on the southeast corner of Federal Highway and Palmetto Park Road. Expansion of metered parking was not approved.
- Implement 54 additional timed parking spaces between Dixie and Federal highways south of Palmetto Park Road.
- Purchase license plate recognition system.
- Implement on-demand transit program. The city’s request for proposals for electric golf cart and similar programs will be released in early 2019.
- Create a pilot program to grant permits for use of private, excess parking off-hours for banks and other companies. Permits would be revocable.
- Create signs directing drivers to off-site parking, not just for city events.
- Discuss charging for event parking with owners of Mizner Park.
Short and possible long-term parking solutions followed by earlier presentations by the city’s parking consultant Kimley Horn. The firm found the short-term parking deficit was 350-to 425 spaces by 2023.
Mayor Scott Singer said he hasn’t given up on siting a public parking garage on the east side of Dixie Highway.
By Marci Shatzman