Memorial Day on Monday May 27 marks the start of the summer season up north with picnics and barbecues. But in Boca, it’s still very much a tribute to people who died in military service to the country.
The public is invited to a moving, morning ceremony in the cemetery and patriotic concert that night. Palm Beach County and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10556 hold their observance in west Boca’s Veterans Park that has military statues.
All the events are free and well attended by veterans wearing insignias on their hats and families decked out in red, white and blue. High school ROTCs take part as color guards.
It’s a tradition to decorate the graves of service members. There’s also a program Monday at the South Florida National Cemetery in Lake Worth.
Boca has added a benefits and resources information event that Wednesday and a free Connected Warriors yoga class for veterans the following Friday.
See all the details below.
Originally known as Decoration Day, Memorial Day didn’t become an official federal holiday until 1971.
· “All Gave Some….Some Gave All,” 9 a.m., Boca Raton Cemetery, 449 SW Fourth Ave. Music by Boca Raton High School Band, Coastmen Chorus and Fort Lauderdale Highlanders. Drills by Boca Raton Police and Fire Honor Guards and Boca Raton High School ROTC.
· Patriotic concert 7 p.m., doors open 6 p.m. in outdoor Mizner Park Amphitheater, north end of Mizner Park. New Gardens Band with vocalist Brandon Mills. Bring own seating or rent chairs $5, veterans free. Limited free parking for veterans in lot next to amphitheater. No coolers or alcoholic beverages.
· Memorial Day program 9:30 a.m. in Veterans Park, 9400 W. Palmetto Park Road, on south side just before Lyons Road. Procession of colors, patriotic music, guest speakers.
· Memorial Day program and speakers by U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, 10 a.m., South Florida National Cemetery, 6501 S. State Road 7, Lake Worth. Access only from free shuttles and parking at Target and Winfield Solutions.
· Military Intel program, noon Wednesday May 29, Boca Raton Downtown Library, 400 NW Second Ave. Information on benefits, counseling, jobs and more.
· Yoga for Veterans, 6 to 7 p.m. Friday May 31, Boca Raton Community Center, 150 Crawford Blvd. Veterans and their families invited to free Connected Warriors yoga class.