Living a Healthy Lifestyle…Step by Step
With summer right around the corner, everyone wants to step up their daily fitness and health regime. Living an overall healthy lifestyle will not only help you reach your fitness goals quicker, you will also experience an elevated mood while improving your overall health. In order to do so, here are a few basic tips to get you started!
- Proper Nutrition: Nutrition is a critical factor in trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. What you put into your body directly correlates to your health. So think twice tomorrow before you choose that donut over oatmeal.
- Physical Activity: Whether you take a walk, go for a run, jump rope or swim, get up and get active! Being active helps reduce chances of diabetes, stroke and heart attacks while improving lung function and increasing weight loss.
- Water: Water seems like such a small factor in health but can affect your physical and mental health greatly. By increasing, water intake can also help keep your skin clear and hydrated!
- Relaxation: You cannot always plan for or control stressful things that happen in your everyday life but you can control how you let it affect you! Find the perfect relaxation method that lets you forget about the stresses that occurred during the day- yoga, journaling, hanging out with a friend or watching a movie.
Importance of Sleep
Who doesn’t love getting a good night’s rest or sleeping in late on Sunday morning? But did you know there are other benefits aside from an increased mood, here they are:
- Improves memory
- Spurs creativity
- Sharpens attention
- Lowers stress
- Sleep and metabolism go hand in hand
- Lack of sleep impairs learning and productivity
A strong, well-functioning immune system is the cornerstone of good health, fighting off disease and infection and allowing you to recover more quickly if you do get sick. Give your immune system an extra boost with these quick and easy natural solutions.
- Blueberries: Toss a handful of blueberries in your breakfast to help fight against infections and diseases. Blueberries contain high levels of Vitamin C and antioxidants.
- Green Tea: Adding green tea to your daily liquid intake can enhance immune and antioxidant activities while fighting against bacteria!
- Fish: Omega-3 fats are found in fish which are the healthy fats that help keep a healthy heart.
- Ginger: Ginger increases sweating which activates the immune system and fights off nausea, chills, and mucus. Eliminate harmful toxins from your body with a cup of ginger!
- Make half of your grains, whole grains
- Make half of your plate fruits and vegetables
- Don’t drink your calories
- Eat a variety of proteins throughout the day
Although this is not a tell-all, how-to, holy grail of health, it is definitely somewhere to get you started on your new healthy lifestyle. Remember: everything in moderation, get plenty of sleep, switch things up and get moving! You are one step closer to an overall better lifestyle and quality of life.