Mother’s Day Celebration: Ancient traditions, modern dining, special menus just for mom
By Marisol Bulacio-Watier
Mothers become the number one stars this May 13th as families gather to celebrate a one-of-a-kind woman and that maternal devotion which makes us all feel home.
How did Mother’s Day come into being? Once a spiritual and religious tradition, the celebration of motherhood can be traced back to festivities by the ancient Greeks and Romans held in honor of the mother goddesses Rhea and Cybele, notes the History Channel—a spirituality which carried on with the arrival of Christianity when people of faith would return to their “mother church” for a special service.
Formerly a religious celebration, however, Mother’s Day has grown to become a significant holiday in recognition of a woman’s motherly quality. Added officially to the U.S. calendar in 1914 by President Woodrow Wilson through efforts by Anna Jarvis, this important second Sunday in May has come to be celebrated in many forms.
To some, Mother’s Day is a day to rejoice at the comfort of home. To others, it is an opportunity to treat mom to a dinner outing, traditionally keeping cooking-moms away from kitchen chores.
If you are not good in the kitchen, and even if you are, and would like to treat mom to a delicious feast, the dining options on May 13th are endless here in Palm Beach County.
Looking for a restaurant? Greek, Roman, Christian or not, the spirit of motherhood is around this month and we have a list of local restaurants for you to pick from and experience the flavors of their Mother’s Day specials.
Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar, Delray Beach
Garden-Fresh ingredients set the stage for a delicious celebration of all things mom – Sunday, May 13. There’s a special menu just for Mom at Harvest Seasonal Grill this Mother’s Day! From brunch to dinner, three inspired dishes by Executive Chef Bill Ring will be available to order for one day only.
Dig into delectable selections including:
- Smoked Salmon Benedict spring onion leek fritter, poached egg, dill crema, pickled fresno chili, hollandaise, English muffin, Harvest salad ($18). Served during brunch only 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Crab Cakes chili-corn remoulade, fried green tomato relish, smoked bacon & spring vegetable succotash, corn shoots, chive pesto ($29)
- Churrasco Steak & Eggs flat iron steak, chimichurri, fried egg, yucca-chorizo hash, lime, cilantro ($28)
With a regular menu available all day, pair the new items with any number of Harvest’s farm-to-table brunch, lunch and dinner dishes to complete your celebration. Choose from signature highlights including brunch selections like PA Grass-Fed “Brunch Burger” or Carrot Cake Waffle; or make an evening reservation and enjoy dishes like the Strawberry Patch Chicken Salad, Blackened Yellowfin Tuna, and the Impossible Vegan Burger before you dive into a scrumptious dessert.
Reservations are highly recommended. Call (561) 266-3239 or visit www.harvestseasonalgrill.com.
iPic Entertainment Tuck Hospitality Group Restaurants, Boca Raton and North Miami
It’s no secret that Mom is a winner every day, and when you treat her to a Mother’s Day Mom-Osa at The Tuck Room or Brunch Buffet at Tuck Hospitality Group restaurants, you can enter her for the chance to win a complimentary day of indulgence!
Set Mom up with a custom cocktail, exclusively available at The Tuck Room (North Miami). For one day only, enjoy iPic® Executive Bartender/Corporate Sommelier Adam Seger’s signature Mom-Osa with LaMarca Prosecco, El Corazon Purée and topped with a stunning red rose petal ($11). Luxe it with Piper-Heidsieck Champagne, the official Champagne of the Oscars.
Or, make a reservation for Chef Yard’s scrumptious Brunch Buffet at award-winning concept Tanzy Restaurant (Boca Raton). Complete with a build-your-own omelet station, a bread and pastries table, sweet and savory sides, Mom can enjoy her special day however she pleases! This Mother’s Day Brunch is priced at $48/person – $42 for Access members and $12 for children 12 and under.
No matter where you plan to spend Mother’s Day, be sure to enter Mom for the chance to win a complimentary luxury 60-minute massage or facial day of indulgence at Life Time’s LifeSpa*, a full-service salon, and spa inside of Life Time locations! Two winners per location will be selected to receive the $140 value in addition to a full day’s access to the club facilities including sauna, pool, café, gym and child care.
For questions or reservations call Tanzy Restaurant at (561) 922-6699 or The Tuck Room at (786) 563-7061.
Junior’s Cheesecake, Boca Raton
Mom’s so special, Junior’s made an exclusive new menu just for Mother’s Day! The New York outpost famous for its homemade cheesecakes and show-stopping New Yorker Cake Shakes will feature nine exclusive entrees and five desserts to order on Mother’s Day only in celebration of the number one woman in your life.
Indulge in scrumptious brunch options from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., with highlights including:
- House Made Crepes filled with sliced bananas and chocolate ($9.25)
- Junior’s Griddle Cakes smothered in fresh berries and cream ($12.75)
- Feta, Tomato & Zucchini Frittata ($14.25)
Or, make a reservation for dinner and dig into exclusive items like:
- Shrimp Linguine with tomato and spinach in garlic wine sauce ($21.95)
- Roast Leg of Lamb with garlic mashed potatoes, honey glazed carrots ($19.95)
Whenever you stop in to shower Mom with love and adoration, make sure to polish off your meal with a decadent dessert. In addition to their signature menu items, Junior’s is offering a special roster of heart-themed sweets just for Mother’s Day:
- Mother’s Day Cupcake ($3.95)
- Ganache Covered Little Fella ($5.25)
- Ganache Covered Heart ($16.95)
- Red Velvet Layer Cake Heart ($20.95)
- Devil’s Food Cheesecake Heart ($23.95)
Reservations are highly recommended. Call (561) 672-7301.
Ouzo Bay, Boca Raton
For a top-quality Mother’s Day celebration, look no further than Mizner Park’s gorgeous new cornerstone Ouzo Bay, Palm Beach IllustratedAward-Winning Restaurant. To sweeten the holiday, all Moms enjoying brunch at the restaurant will receive a Mimosa for just a penny with the purchase of any brunch menu entrée. Highlights include Baked Eggs Saganaki with tomato sauce and crispy pita; Nordic Cure with salmon gravlax and dill hollandaise; or Froutalia Egg Casserole with potatoes, sausage and greens.
In addition to offering their usual dinner menu of Greek-influenced Mediterranean cuisine, Ouzo Bay is crafting two exclusive specials available to order on Mother’s Day. Enjoy the following dishes from Chef Andrew Donovan:
- 1 ½ lb Butter Poached Maine Lobster whipped parsnip, charred asparagus, carrot vinaigrette ($48)
- Pan Roasted Duck Breast sugar snap peas, wilted dandelion greens, balsamic-port duck jus ($34)
Reservations are strongly recommended. Call (561) 757-0082.
Saiko-i Sushi Lounge & Hibachi, Boca Raton
There’s no easier way to Win Mom’s Heart this Mother’s Day than at Saiko-i Sushi Lounge & Hibachi, Boca’s exclusive Japanese dining experience with a Pan-Asian influence featuring high-quality sushi and hibachi performances under one roof in Central Boca Raton. In honor of the holiday, every mom celebrating at Saiko-i will receive a complimentary Lychee Martini with any purchase. Cheers to that!
If you really want to show the love, order Mom a signature Heart Roll, with crunch spicy tuna on the inside, wrapped with fresh tuna on the outside ($15).
Presenting a vast selection of seating options, Saiko-i is the perfect destination for family gatherings of any size. Whether you make a reservation for a memorable hibachi performance or you treat the leading lady in your life to a stunning sushi roll, a delicious celebration awaits you.
Reservations are highly recommended. Call (561) 393-5888.
Square One Restaurant, Boca Raton
Square One, a New American restaurant and local meeting spot with a focus on seasonally-inspired dishes and craft cocktails and a commitment to sustainability, announces a special gift for all moms visiting this Mother’s Day, along with four exclusive menu items available for all guests to order all day on Sunday, May 13.
Square One makes every meal a memorable one with their seasonal menu that highlights the freshest produce and most flavorful ingredients available, and there’s, even more, to enjoy when you make a reservation for Mother’s Day!
In addition to Square One’s full menu, Chef Jon Greening has a quartet of all-day breakfast dishes ranging from sweet to savory that will be available to order only on Mother’s Day. Indulge in decadent options priced from $9 – $25 including:
- House Made Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese icing
- King Crab Omelet asparagus, crème fraiche, mixed green salad
- Smoked Salmon Benedict crispy potato cake, dill hollandaise, fresh berry salad
- E.C. Breakfast Pizza Neuske’s bacon, farm egg, aged cheddar, mozzarella, scallion
That’s not all! When you treat Mom to Mother’s Day at Square One, she’ll receive a complimentary Mimosa or Bellini to enjoy alongside her meal.
Advance reservations recommended. Call (561) 923-9176.
The Locale, Boca Raton
Calling all brunch-loving moms! Spend Mother’s Day with your loved ones at the new Locale, where they’re launching their official Sunday Brunch menu in celebration of the holiday. The flavorful new dishes present diners with an extension of the restaurant’s celebrated lunch and dinner offerings to enjoy during every Sunday brunch.
Be the first to explore and enjoy The Locale’s new menu over a complimentary signature Bellini for all moms, with twelve new Latin-inspired dishes.
- Broken Toston smashed fried green plantain, cheddar, and mozzarella cheeses, scrambled egg, scallions
- Beef Hash stir-fried beef potato hash, peppers, onions, served with two sunny side up eggs
- Bacon Fried Rice crispy bacon, soy sauce fried rice, fried egg, scallions
- Locale Omelette onions, tomato, peppers, mushrooms, ham, cheddar cheese, served with roasted potatoes
- Parfait Greek yogurt, homemade pistachio granola, fresh fruit
- Croissant Sandwich butter croissant, scrambled egg, ham, cheese, served with roasted potatoes
- Aji Chicken Empanada fried empanada stuffed with shredded chicken, yellow chili sauce
- Croque Madame ham and cheese sandwich topped with béchamel sauce, fried egg
Reservations are highly recommended. Call (561) 325-8000.
The Addison, Boca Raton
The Addison will be opening to the public for another delicious and high-caliber signature event, featuring the venue’s Five Star Diamond Award-winning catering. Mother’s Day brunch is $89.95 and includes unlimited mimosas and bellinis, live music, and kids’ activities. Children twelve and under are half-price and children two and under are free. A beautiful spring bouquet can be added to the table for an additional charge.
Reservations are available starting at 10 a.m. and book quickly! RSVP by calling (561) 372-0568.
Seasons 52 Fresh Grill, Boca Raton
Not just any mom. Not just any brunch. Join us on Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 13th. Our Seasons 52 Restaurant located in Boca Raton, Florida lets you experience seasonal food prepared using rustic cooking techniques like brick oven roasting and wood fire grilling. Join us for Sunday Brunch featuring special Chef Creations and endless brunch sips for only $14.9.
- BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIB HASH pasture-raised poached egg, Yukon potato, red peppers, onion, red wine sauce (730 cal)
- SHAKSHUKA pasture-raised eggs baked in a sauce of sweet peppers, tomatoes, chorizo and crumbled feta (620 cal)
- BRICK OVEN BRIOCHE FRENCH TOAST blueberry-infused maple syrup, whiskey-smoked brown sugar pecans (810 cal)
- SMOKED SALMON FLATBREAD crisp bread, cold-smoked Kendall Brook salmon, capers, red onion, horseradish crema (480 cal)
- S52 EGGS BENEDICT toasted brioche, mushrooms & wilted spinach, pasture-raised poached eggs, hollandaise drizzle, accompanied by homefries (810 cal) Add poached lobster (+80 cal)
- VEGETABLE FRITTATA pasture-raised eggs, aged cheddar, roasted red peppers, potatoes, mushrooms, accompanied by roasted asparagus and sriracha hollandaise (640 cal)
- BRUNCH BURGER grass-fed beef blended with mushrooms, pasture-raised egg, crispy shiitake mushrooms, hollandaise (790 cal)
Call to reserve now (561) 998-9952.
Bistro 1001, West Palm Beach
Join us on Mother’s Day for a holiday brunch buffet from 12 – 6 p.m. Brunch will include the brunch buffet — and bottomless mimosas and sparkling wine.
Cost for the brunch is $48 per person, $24 for children 12 and under and free for those 4 and under. Tax and gratuity are additional.
MOTHER’S DAY BRUNCH MENU
Omelet & Belgian Waffle Station
Breakfast Breads and Pastries
Bacon, Chicken Apple Sausage
Yogurt and Granola
Fresh Garden Salad | mixed greens, artichokes, cucumbers, carrots, olives, red onion, hearts of palm
Roasted Beet Salad | goat cheese mousse, pistachios, dried citrus
Fresh Mozzarella Salad | cherry tomatoes, arugula, aged balsamic
Cheese and Charcuterie
Prosciutto, Salami, Coppa, Manchego, Brie, Maytag Blue
Mustard, Olives, Cornichons, Assorted Breads & Crackers
Peruvian Ceviche | Fresh Lime Juice, Onions, Peppers, Cilantro, Grouper
Shrimp Cocktail, Green Lip Mussels, Snow Crab Claws
Cocktail Sauce, Lemon, Mignonette Sauce
Blackfin Tuna | Wakame salad
Beef Steam Ship
Au Jus, Horseradish Cream Sauce
Carved Prime Rib
Au Jus, Onion and Mustard
Hot Entrees and Sides
Pork Loin | apple and whole grain mustard sauce, roasted fingerling potatoes
Blackened Mahi Mahi | pineapple and mango salsa, sauteed bok choy
Airline Chicken Breast | leeks and mushroom ragout
Wild Rice Pilaf
Roasted Cauliflower, Herbs and Brown Butter
New York Style Cheesecake, Pecan Pie, Chocolate Mousse Cake, Petit Fours
Contact Bistro 1001 at (561) 833-1234 for reservations.
The Regional Kitchen & Public House, West Palm Beach
Join us for our Mother’s Day Brunch Buffet on Sunday, May 13th. Chef Lindsay Autry will be preparing her acclaimed buffet spread with menu favorites like Tomato Pie, Fried Chicken, FL Honey Glazed Ham, Prime Rib and much more! Brunch will be served from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. for $70 per person and $25 for children.
Reservations recommended. Call (561) 557-6460.
Pavilion Grille, Boca Raton
MOTHERS DAY JAZZ BUFFET BRUNCH Come join us for a Mothers Day Buffet Brunch with a Jazz Duo. Cost: $49.95 per adult, $19.95 for children (4 to 12 years) plus tax and service charge. Children under 4 years old are free. Unlimited Mimosas are $12.95 plus tax and service charge. Call 561-912-0000 for reservations; deposit of $100.00 for 6 or more. Sunday, May 13, 2018, 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Happy Mother’s Day Boca! Here at The Boca Voice we wish all mothers a wonderful celebration in the company of family and friends!