City council is keeping holiday spirit in check this year. Members of the Boca Raton City Council made sure to say at last week’s meeting that no pentagram would defile Sanborn Square this holiday season.
The deadline to apply for permits had passed on Nov. 21. None of the five permits had gone to the Boca Raton High School teacher who displayed a pentagram last year.
Late Friday morning, about 50 people gathered at Sanborn Square across from Old Town Hall. Many carried signs: “I reject Satan”; God always, Satan never”; “Let them offend our Lord no more.” Supportive drivers were honking horns. Clergymen were arriving.
At City Hall, staffers were trying to return fire on Twitter, with little luck. The crowd—which seemed to consist mostly of parishioners from St. Joan of Arc and Ascension Catholic churches—was growing to about 75. More drivers were honking. Someone said people had come from Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.
“But there won’t be a pentagram,” I told another man. Indeed, only one display graced the park: a crèche that St. Joan of Arc had erected. “So maybe,” he said, “this is a victory celebration.”
Perhaps, but it also was a victory for rumor over fact and a reminder of how little kindling it takes for a conspiracy theory to flare up. For the record, here are the five permits granted for holiday displays: