Florida’s giving a tax-free pass Friday to Tuesday on a long list of back-to-school buys. But it’s complicated.
There are rules for layaways, rain checks and even gift cards. So, get to ready to read pages of do’s and don’ts .
For instance, the Aug. 2 through 6 sales tax holiday doesn’t apply to:
· Any item of clothing selling for more than $60;
· Any school supply item selling for more than $15;
· Books that are not otherwise exempt;
· Computers and computer-related accessories purchased for commercial purposes;
Among the tax-free items are:
· Clothing, footwear, and certain accessories selling for $60 or less per item;
· Computers and certain accessories selling for $1,000 or less per item when purchased for personal use.
Locally, Town Center at Boca Raton is giving shoppers a heads up about the tax-free holiday and back-to-school specials.
Before hitting the mall, shoppers can check out savings by visiting the Simon Retailer Showcase for retailer deals.
The mall is teaming up for a Back-to-School Supply Drive to benefit The Education Foundation of Palm Beach County’s Red Apple Supplies Store. Guests can drop off donations at Simon Guest Services or the Cafés at Boca in Town Center at Boca Raton.
For the list, click here.
Palm Beach County public schools return from summer vacation on Monday Aug. 12.